[kde-solaris] Problems with KDE 3.1.2 packages

Dan and Michelle Smith dssmms at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 14:53:11 CEST 2003

Hello,
    First, let me give a huge 'Thank you' for whoever is undertaking this effort.  It is very much appreciated.  Now, on to my problems...

    I downloaded the 2 packages (core & extras) and installed them fine.  I do NOT use the dtlogin stuff (yet), but rather use 'startkde' in my .xinitrc file through OpenWindows (yuk).  They are located in a temporary directory (/export/home/opt/kde/balhblahblah) and all KDEDIR and QTDIR variables are set correctly.

    KDE starts and runs fine with these exceptions:
    o    I cannot seem to display any JPEG images as backgrounds for (a) my desktop and (b) konsole.  I usually use the 'paper' scheme in konsole (I have KDE 3.0), but in 3.1.2 I only get a white background.  For the desktop, when I go to change the wallpaper, the preview windows shows a 'broken' icon, not the wallpaper.  When I select 'Apply', I get the 'gradient', no image.
    o    My hot keys do not work for the desktop and konsole.  'Shift-Left/Right' does not scroll through my shells and 'Ctrl'Tab' does not scroll through my desktops.

    I have moved all KDE 3.0 stuff out of the way (Desktop, .kderc, .kde, etc.) so as to start fresh (it even went through the 'KED setup wixard at the beginning), but these things still do not work.  I can view JPEGs thought kuickview, but not though kview.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan