[kde-solaris] Re: KDE on Solaris Companion CD

Eric Boutilier kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Tue Feb 25 00:12:09 2003

Previously, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:

> On Monday 24 February 2003 19:55, LeBar, Russell wrote:
> > Right. The Qt licensing issue is not that it hurts Sun directly but that it
> > might discourage some vendors from developing for the platform. But I'm not
> > sure if I really buy into that theory.
>
> This wasn't ment to be a theory ;-) I just wanted to clearify the QT licencing
> question. I don't know what the reasons for SUN's choice are. Maybe Gnome had
> a better timing or was more present in the US than KDE. Maybe it's because
> KDE is rather anarchistic with no real person to talk to or any other reason.
> Maybe Eric can tell us more?

I'm not the right Sun person to get into that debate. But I'm
pretty sure some of the Sun GNOME engineers participate in the
GNOME forums though, so you might want to ask your question there.

The decision to go with GNOME instead of KDE was made about three
years ago, so if a debate thread about it isn't in the archives
of this group, I'm sure several can be found in other forums.
Also, our GNOME product marketing folks have (during those three
years) put together some great PR extolling the virtues of GNOME,
so one can also learn tons about the pro-GNOME side of the issue
by browsing sun.com/gnome.

Eric