[kde-solaris] Re: KDE on Solaris Companion CD

LeBar, Russell kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Mon Feb 24 23:18:27 2003

Correct me if I am wrong people, but I believe Gnome is the default desktop
in Red Hat (states) and KDE is the default with Suse (Europe). So, in theory
(*grin*) Gnome is more popular in the states.

I believe the official answer SUN gave was that the programmers were more
familiar with C than C++. Others have speculated that QT licensing issues
were also a concern. I was just commenting on how credible I thought those
speculations were.

-- Russ LeBar x3355

-----Original Message-----
From: Eva Brucherseifer [mailto:eva@kde.org]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 17:09
To: kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Subject: Re: [kde-solaris] Re: KDE on Solaris Companion CD

On Monday 24 February 2003 19:55, LeBar, Russell wrote:
> Right. The Qt licensing issue is not that it hurts Sun directly but that
it
> might discourage some vendors from developing for the platform. But I'm
not
> sure if I really buy into that theory.

This wasn't ment to be a theory ;-) I just wanted to clearify the QT
licencing
question. I don't know what the reasons for SUN's choice are. Maybe Gnome
had
a better timing or was more present in the US than KDE. Maybe it's because
KDE is rather anarchistic with no real person to talk to or any other
reason.
Maybe Eric can tell us more?

> It's unfortunate the way things went
> since right now KDE is looking like the better desktop.

I never used Gnome, so I cannot compare, but I know, that Windows users have

no problem to switch to a KDE desktop and they often like it better. I don't

think we need to mention CDE in this comparison ;-)

Greetings,
eva