[kde-solaris] Re: KDE on Solaris Companion CD

Eva Brucherseifer kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Mon Feb 24 23:08:15 2003

On Monday 24 February 2003 19:55, LeBar, Russell wrote:
> Right. The Qt licensing issue is not that it hurts Sun directly but that =
it
> might discourage some vendors from developing for the platform. But I'm n=
ot
> sure if I really buy into that theory.=20

This wasn't ment to be a theory ;-) I just wanted to clearify the QT licenc=
ing=20
question. I don't know what the reasons for SUN's choice are. Maybe Gnome h=
ad=20
a better timing or was more present in the US than KDE. Maybe it's because=
=20
KDE is rather anarchistic with no real person to talk to or any other reaso=
n.=20
Maybe Eric can tell us more?

> It's unfortunate the way things went
> since right now KDE is looking like the better desktop.

I never used Gnome, so I cannot compare, but I know, that Windows users hav=
e=20
no problem to switch to a KDE desktop and they often like it better. I don'=
t=20
think we need to mention CDE in this comparison ;-)

Greetings,
eva