[kde-solaris] HELP : kde31 packages for sparc broke my machine....

Paul Hands kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Fri Feb 21 13:22:00 2003

--=-Nrl2FmkMnLBybh9fGzcF

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, we use NIS and DNS.  I don't know if the domain names are the same
or not.  Is this important?
How do I find the DNS domain name?

We have always logged in graphically, and I haven't seen an option to
login textually except from the DT login manager, but the machine never
gets to that stage.  I've tried booting to run levels 1 and 2, but no
change in behaviour.

Paul

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 12:04, Antonio Prioglio wrote:

> On 21 Feb 2003, Paul Hands wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The machine boots normally until it tries to start the login manager.
> > At that point, it simply shows a CDE style message dialog box, which
> > says "Login incorrect ; Please try again", with an OK button.  Using the
> > button makes no difference, it may be going back to retry, but it comes
> > back to the failure message instantly.  I cannot access the machine via
> > telnet, ssh, rlogin or any other remote method.  They just give a
> > connection refused message.
>
> One question, do you use NIS? And if so are the NIS domainname and DNS
> domainname the same?
> >
> > I'm guessing that the kdestartup package has changed something to cause
> > this.  Can I reverse the process?  My sun is in a corporate intranet and
> > before long the IT admins are going to do something drastic when they
> > find out.
> >
> > Machine is a Blade 100, Solaris 8, running CDE and gnome2 before this.
> >
> Do you login in graphic mode or text?
>
> before graphic mode there is a chance for a text mode login.
>
> What happens then?

--=-Nrl2FmkMnLBybh9fGzcF

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Hi,<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for taking the time to reply.<BR>
<BR>
Yes, we use NIS and DNS.&nbsp; I don't know if the domain names are the same or not.&nbsp; Is this important?<BR>
How do I find the DNS domain name?<BR>
<BR>
We have always logged in graphically, and I haven't seen an option to login textually except from the DT login manager, but the machine never gets to that stage.&nbsp; I've tried booting to run levels 1 and 2, but no change in behaviour.<BR>
<BR>
Paul<BR>
<BR>