[kde-solaris] Solaris 9 64 bit startup problem

robert_kislin at bankone.com robert_kislin at bankone.com
Thu Aug 28 09:08:38 CEST 2003

Okay...After much tweeking and prodding, I have been successful in
compiling KDE 3.1.3 for 64 bit Solaris 9.  Now, can someone please tell me
how to get it to start up?  I am able to force it to start from within CDE
by removing the shutdown lines in startkde.  As startkde runs it crashes
with an ICE fatal IO error when it tries to bring up kwin.  At that point
I can bring up KDE by manually running kwin, kdesktop and kicker.  I can
get KDE to start up fine if I use dtwm as my window manager, but that
completely defeats the purpose.  If I try to start KDE from dtlogin, it
crashes back to the login screen.  The problem appears to be in the way
that kwin is called.  I cannot give more info as I do not get any specific
error message except for the ICE fatal IO.  Has anyone been successful in
compiling KDE for Solaris 9 64 bit using gcc?

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.