[kde-solaris] Solaris 9 64 bit startup problem

Lars Tunkrans lars.tunkrans at bredband.net
Thu Aug 28 23:07:40 CEST 2003

robert_kislin at bankone.com wrote:

> Okay...After much tweeking and prodding, I have been successful in
> compiling KDE 3.1.3 for 64 bit Solaris 9.  Now, can someone please tell me
> how to get it to start up?  I am able to force it to start from within CDE
> by removing the shutdown lines in startkde.  As startkde runs it crashes
> with an ICE fatal IO error when it tries to bring up kwin.  At that point
> I can bring up KDE by manually running kwin, kdesktop and kicker.  I can
> get KDE to start up fine if I use dtwm as my window manager, but that
> completely defeats the purpose.  If I try to start KDE from dtlogin, it
> crashes back to the login screen.  The problem appears to be in the way
> that kwin is called.  I cannot give more info as I do not get any specific
> error message except for the ICE fatal IO.  Has anyone been successful in
> compiling KDE for Solaris 9 64 bit using gcc?

Hi,

  If you install the KDE3.0 package on the SUN Companion freeware cd
you will find the directory  /opt/sfw/kde/dtlogin.

This directory contains an install script  and some definitionfiles
for dtlogin.

Edit these files so that they point to the directory where you have installed
KDE.  Then run the install script. This will install your KDE environment
as a Session to be startable by dtlogin.

I cant copy the files to the mailinglist since they are copyrighted by SUN.

$ pwd
/opt/sfw/kde/dtlogin
$ ls -l
total 354
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin          518 Feb  8  2003 install-dtlogin
-r--r--r--   1 root     bin        44525 Feb  8  2003 KDElogo.bm
-r--r--r--   1 root     bin       117487 Feb  8  2003 KDElogo.pm
-r--r--r--   1 root     bin          377 Feb  8  2003 README.dtlogin
-r--r--r--   1 root     bin          467 Feb  8  2003 Xresources.kde
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin          864 Feb  8  2003 Xsession.kde
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin          493 Feb  8  2003 Xsession.kde2