Social media & promo

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 06:16:17 BST 2019

Hi students, I mentioned the other day that I hope you spice up your status
pages and blog posts.

I'd like to describe why I mention this and how it will pay off for you.
Many of us were raised to not praise ourselves, not to boast, to be humble.
This is not what I'm asking you to do.

We're asking you to promote your *work* to your users and your community.
Even after having been involved in the KDE community for about 10 years,
I'm still finding out about cool stuff we make that I've never heard of. Is
that a problem? I think it is. What if I'm asked about the subject and have
to recommend non-KDE software because I've not heard of our cool things?

Please boost your team and your work, whatever that might be. And please do
it in the most eye-catching way possible. If you are not on twitter, please
consider making an account. When you do, please follow KDE Community,
follow your fellow students, follow me and other KDE people, along with
those who produce your distribution. When you blog, tweet about it *with an
image.* If it's a gif or short movie so much the better. If it's KDE work,
mention @kdecommunity so that you get re-tweeted. Re-tweet KDE, your fellow
students, your team members. This creates a virtuous cycle, where more
people find out about KDE software, and more people within KDE find out
about your work.

You can even embed whole tweets as a way to organize your status page in an
interesting way, since they are short and pithy.

If you are on Facebook, please like and follow the KDE community there
also. Again, post about your work, lead people to your blog posts, and use
images! Same with Mastodon, MeWe, etc. KDE also uses Reddit, so please
boost KDE posts there too.

I would love to see enough good material produced that the KDE Promo team
has to pick and choose which to boost!

Thinking like this will help your progress throughout your career, no
matter what you do. People *need* your valuable work, so please tell them
about it.

All the best,

Valorie (@valoriez)

--