GSoC 2016 proposal for KDE

Arnav Dhamija arnav.dhamija at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 19:56:03 UTC 2015

Hello everyone, I am a first year undergraduate computer science student
interested in the Google Summer of Code.

*Name:* Arnav Dhamija

*College:* BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus

*Country:* India

*Project title:* Extension for KDE Dolphin to make it easier to select
files which are in a non-continuous order

*Project Description:* Selecting multiple files in any file manager for
copying and pasting has never been a pleasant experience, especially if
the files are in a non-continuous order. Often, when copying files
between devices we might find that we need to select only a subset of
the required files we have selected and this leads to the unwieldy
operation of removing files from our selection.

My solution to this problem is to introduce the concept of a "pane" or a
"tray" within the Dolphin file manager as an extension.

This tray is a completely temporary location where the file pointers to
the required files are stored (much like how files are stored on the
computer clipboard) and items on the tray are only saved for that session.

Files can be added to this tray by using a right-click context menu
option or by using the mouse scroll click or drag and drop.

Actions can then be collectively performed on all the items on the tray
- such as directory operations such as copy, paste, cut, upload images
in selection to Facebook, upload files to Dropbox, etc. This will highly
enhance Dolphin's productivity tools.

*Technical requirements:* QWidgets, C++

*Timeline and availability:* I have already developed a basic standalone
QWidgets application which demonstrates what this project is trying to
achieve. The next step would be to improve the stability and usability
of said application and then to port it over as a Dolphin File Manager
extension. I will be available for further discussion and development
after 11th December 2015.

*Why me:* I am enthusiastic about open source software and have been
using a Linux distro since early high school. I have past experience
with using open source libraries such as SFML to develop applications. I
also have a decent grasp of algorithms and enjoy competitive
programming. Finally, I am willing to learn as much as possible to
improve my technical skills.

I would need a mentor for integrating this application with KDE Dolphin.
I would be very grateful for further discussion and guidance on the same
--
arnav dhamija