GSoC 2016 proposal for KDE

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Sat Nov 28 14:37:39 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 8:56 PM, Arnav Dhamija <arnav.dhamija at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, I am a first year undergraduate computer science student
> interested in the Google Summer of Code.
>
> Name: Arnav Dhamija
>
> College: BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus
>
> Country: India
>
> Project title: Extension for KDE Dolphin to make it easier to select files
> which are in a non-continuous order
>
> Project Description: Selecting multiple files in any file manager for
> copying and pasting has never been a pleasant experience, especially if the
> files are in a non-continuous order. Often, when copying files between
> devices we might find that we need to select only a subset of the required
> files we have selected and this leads to the unwieldy operation of removing
> files from our selection.
>
> My solution to this problem is to introduce the concept of a "pane" or a
> "tray" within the Dolphin file manager as an extension.
>
> This tray is a completely temporary location where the file pointers to the
> required files are stored (much like how files are stored on the computer
> clipboard) and items on the tray are only saved for that session.
>
> Files can be added to this tray by using a right-click context menu option
> or by using the mouse scroll click or drag and drop.
>
> Actions can then be collectively performed on all the items on the tray -
> such as directory operations such as copy, paste, cut, upload images in
> selection to Facebook, upload files to Dropbox, etc. This will highly
> enhance Dolphin's productivity tools.
>
> Technical requirements: QWidgets, C++
>
> Timeline and availability: I have already developed a basic standalone
> QWidgets application which demonstrates what this project is trying to
> achieve. The next step would be to improve the stability and usability of
> said application and then to port it over as a Dolphin File Manager
> extension. I will be available for further discussion and development after
> 11th December 2015.
>
> Why me: I am enthusiastic about open source software and have been using a
> Linux distro since early high school. I have past experience with using open
> source libraries such as SFML to develop applications. I also have a decent
> grasp of algorithms and enjoy competitive programming. Finally, I am willing
> to learn as much as possible to improve my technical skills.
>
> I would need a mentor for integrating this application with KDE Dolphin. I
> would be very grateful for further discussion and guidance on the same

Hi Arnav :)

Thank you for reaching out to us and expressing your interest in
contributing to KDE.
You are a bit too early for submitting a GSoC 2016 proposal as Google
has not yet selected the mentoring organisations for that round.
However it is never too early to start contributing. So I recommend
you reach out to the people working on Dolphin and see how you can
help you with something small.

Cheers
Lydia

KDE e.V. Board of Directors / KDE Community Working Group
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org