Project proposal for SoK 2015-16

Arnav Dhamija arnav.dhamija at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 05:29:39 UTC 2015

Hello everyone, I am a first year undergraduate computer science student
interested in the Season of KDE.

*Name:* Arnav Dhamija

*College:* BITS Pilani Hyderabad Campus

*Country:* India

*Project title:* Trays Extension for the Dolphin File Manager for
improving GUI file selection operations
<https://season.kde.org/?q=view_projects&prg=36&p=456>

*Project Description:* Selecting multiple files in any file manager for
copying and pasting has never been a pleasant experience, especially if
the files are in a non-continuous order. Often, when copying files
between devices we might find that we need to select only a subset of
the required files and this leads to the unwieldy operation of removing
files from our selection.

My solution to this problem is to introduce the concept of a "pane" or a
"tray" within the Dolphin file manager as an extension.

This tray is a completely temporary location where the file pointers to
the required files are stored (much like how files are stored on the
computer clipboard) and items on the tray are only saved for that session.

Files can be added to this tray by using a right-click context menu
option or by using the mouse scroll click or by drag and drop.

Actions can then be collectively performed on all the items on the tray
- such as copy, paste, cut, upload images in selection to Facebook,
upload files to Dropbox, etc. This will enhance Dolphin's productivity
tools.

*Technical requirements:* QWidgets, C++, Dolphin file extensions, QML

*Timeline and availability:* I have already developed a basic standalone
QWidgets application which demonstrates what this project is trying to
achieve. The next step would be to improve the stability and usability
of said application and then to port it over as a Dolphin File Manager
extension. I will be available for further development and programming
after 11th December 2015.

*Why me:* I am enthusiastic about open source software and have past
experience with using open source libraries such as SFML to develop
applications. I have a decent grasp of algorithms and I am willing to
learn as much as possible to improve my technical skills.

Currently this project has an undecided status on the SoK page:
https://season.kde.org/?q=view_projects&prg=36&p=456. I would be much
obliged for further discussion and guidance on the same

--
arnav dhamija