Plasma QML porting questions

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Sat Feb 23 17:57:05 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM, K900 <k0009000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I want to do some Plasma QML porting work for GSoC, but I have a few
> questions.

Cool!

> 1) What is the target Qt/QML version for ported plasmoids?
> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2013/Ideas#Project:_Port_plasmoids_to_plasma2
> mentions Plasma2 (and Qt5, I assume), but
> http://community.kde.org/Plasma/QMLPorting says 'stuck until we can depend
> on Qt5' for systemmonitor. Does that mean that (some?) plasmoids need to
> support both QML/Qt4 and QML2/Qt5? Is it possible at all? (I'm not too
> familiar with Plasma's QML components yet, sorry :( )

You best ask this on the Plasma mailing list. They can help you with this.

> 2) Will anyone be able to help me with usability/UX? I understand the basic
> concepts, but I'm pretty sure there'll be a lot of tweaking involved.

We have a usability team that can answer questions and the Plasma team
can likely also provide guidance.

> 3) When/where do I apply with the official documents?

Google will publish that when they announced all the organisations
that take part this year. Check the timeline on the GSoC website. It
should have details about that.

> 4) Can I start early? I should have some free time during the semester, just
> need to set up a Plasma2 environment.

There is some room in the time-line, yes. I think the official GSoC
FAQ (also linked from the GSoC website) has a part about that.

> Looking forward to helping my favorite DE :)

\o/

Cheers
Lydia

KDE Community Working Group / KDE e.V. board member
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org