Plasma QML porting questions

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Sat Feb 23 18:53:21 UTC 2013

Hi there,

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM, K900 <k0009000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I want to do some Plasma QML porting work for GSoC, but I have a few
> questions.
>
> 1) What is the target Qt/QML version for ported plasmoids?
> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2013/Ideas#Project:_Port_plasmoids_to_plasma2
> mentions Plasma2 (and Qt5, I assume), but
> http://community.kde.org/Plasma/QMLPorting says 'stuck until we can depend
> on Qt5' for systemmonitor. Does that mean that (some?) plasmoids need to
> support both QML/Qt4 and QML2/Qt5? Is it possible at all? (I'm not too
> familiar with Plasma's QML components yet, sorry :( )
> 2) Will anyone be able to help me with usability/UX? I understand the basic
> concepts, but I'm pretty sure there'll be a lot of tweaking involved.
> 3) When/where do I apply with the official documents?
> 4) Can I start early? I should have some free time during the semester, just
> need to set up a Plasma2 environment.
>
> Looking forward to helping my favorite DE :)

What Lydia said, and:

Please have a look at the current Junior Jobs, as it will improve your
chances to get accepted as a student if the team already knows you and
your work and code.

>From the discussions we had so far it is rather unlikely that a
student will get accepted without previous work and involvement in
KDE.

Regards, Myriam

PS: Don't forget to read the KDE guide, it gives very valuable help
for newcomers: http://flossmanuals.net/kde-guide/
http://www.fsfe.org