Plasma QML porting questions

K900 k0009000 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 17:07:41 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I want to do some Plasma QML porting work for GSoC, but I have a few
questions.

1) What is the target Qt/QML version for ported plasmoids?
http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2013/Ideas#Project:_Port_plasmoids_to_plasma2mentions
Plasma2 (and Qt5, I assume), but
http://community.kde.org/Plasma/QMLPorting says 'stuck until we can depend
on Qt5' for systemmonitor. Does that mean that (some?) plasmoids need to
support both QML/Qt4 and QML2/Qt5? Is it possible at all? (I'm not too
familiar with Plasma's QML components yet, sorry :( )
2) Will anyone be able to help me with usability/UX? I understand the basic
concepts, but I'm pretty sure there'll be a lot of tweaking involved.
3) When/where do I apply with the official documents?
4) Can I start early? I should have some free time during the semester,
just need to set up a Plasma2 environment.

Looking forward to helping my favorite DE :)

Ilya