project proposal

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Mon Apr 4 10:41:15 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 21:31,  <tavoularis at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> My name is nikos tavoularis and i am a student at the Computer Engineering
> and Informatics Department
> of the University of Patras, Greece. (http://www.ceid.upatras.gr/)
> I have experience in c++, java ,python ,Qt and networking.
> I also work at the research academic computer technology institute of
> Greece (http://www.cti.gr/) as a part time employee
> For some time now i have been working on an alternative music player for kde.
>
> This is a media player based on Qt/kde writen in c++ using MySQL.
> The idea is to create a powerful and easy to use music player.
> At this point the following things have been implemented:
>
> -A mysql database used for storing the library information.
> -Use of phonon for media playback
> -Use of taglib for reading and writing ID tags
> -Advanced use of taglib for reading and writing information such as
> Ratings on mp3 files
> -file browsing within the player while at the same time the tags of the
> files are displayed
> -Seperate "playing now" playlist
> -user friendly query generator (used in creating smart playlists)
>
> i am interested in continuing the implementation of my project and add new
> features like:
> -plugins
> -embeded mysql
> -last fm.
> -advanced support for ogg ID tags
> -improve the overall performance and gui
> etc
>
> You can find more about my project on sf.net here:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxplayer/
> there's also an svn repo from where you can download all of the source code
>
> I'm wondering if anyone finds my project worthy and interesting and if
> anyone is interested in
> mentoring my project in Google summer of code as part of the KDE.
>
> Due to my studies and my work I currently don't have much free time for my
> project. But if I get accepted
> to GSoC I'll be able to leave my current job and fully commit myself to
> the project.
>
> I'd also like someone to help me on how do I proceed in proposing my
> project for GSoC.

Hi :)

You can propose it on google-melange.com by submitting a proposal
there. But let me be completely honest with you: It is very unlikely
to get accepted. The reasons for that are:
* it is not a KDE project
* KDE already has at least 3 media players
* I am not aware of anyone who could mentor it

I wish you good luck with your project but would suggest for GSoC you
look for something else.

Cheers
Lydia

--