project proposal

tavoularis at ceid.upatras.gr tavoularis at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Apr 3 21:31:24 CEST 2011

Dear mentors,

My name is nikos tavoularis and i am a student at the Computer Engineering
and Informatics Department
of the University of Patras, Greece. (http://www.ceid.upatras.gr/)
I have experience in c++, java ,python ,Qt and networking.
I also work at the research academic computer technology institute of
Greece (http://www.cti.gr/) as a part time employee
For some time now i have been working on an alternative music player for kde.

This is a media player based on Qt/kde writen in c++ using MySQL.
The idea is to create a powerful and easy to use music player.
At this point the following things have been implemented:

-A mysql database used for storing the library information.
-Use of phonon for media playback
-Use of taglib for reading and writing ID tags
-Advanced use of taglib for reading and writing information such as
Ratings on mp3 files
-file browsing within the player while at the same time the tags of the
files are displayed
-Seperate "playing now" playlist
-user friendly query generator (used in creating smart playlists)

i am interested in continuing the implementation of my project and add new
features like:
-plugins
-embeded mysql
-last fm.
-advanced support for ogg ID tags
-improve the overall performance and gui
etc

You can find more about my project on sf.net here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxplayer/
there's also an svn repo from where you can download all of the source code

I'm wondering if anyone finds my project worthy and interesting and if
anyone is interested in
mentoring my project in Google summer of code as part of the KDE.

Due to my studies and my work I currently don't have much free time for my
project. But if I get accepted
to GSoC I'll be able to leave my current job and fully commit myself to
the project.

I'd also like someone to help me on how do I proceed in proposing my
project for GSoC.

Thanks in advance,
Nikos Tavoularis