GSoC wrapup

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Thu Aug 20 16:50:41 CEST 2009

On Monday 17 August 2009 10:08:41 Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> Heya :)
>
> GSoC is coming to an end and I or someone else from the admin team
> would like to publish a blogentry and dot article with 2 to 3
> sentences about every student and their project telling what was done
> and maybe a link to your blog for more details. Bonus points if you
> can make a cool screenshot that shows your work.
> Could you all please get them to us by Friday? That would be awesome. :)

Ok, I'll try to be brief:

For my GSoC project I've implemented the ability to publish/access plasma
widgets over the network. Widget's can be announced on the local network
through zeroconf and when accessing them, the entire plasma package will be
send over in case of scripted widgets. All dataengines and services will act
on the remote machine instead of the local machine completely transparent to
the widget. You can now for example access a published nowplaying widget to
remotely control amarok from another computer without any change in the
nowplaying widget, or any of the dataengines/services (see screenshot). Of
course security plays an important part in this project: all messages are
signed, and the shell can decide which machines are allowed access to certain
services, use the bluetooth like password pairing mechanism (enter the same
password on both machines), or simply not allow remote access at all. I'm
planning on merging my project into trunk at Tokamak, so it'll become easy for
everyone to try it out.

Hmm, I've exceeded the 2-3 sentences ;) let me know if I'll have to make it
shorter... Maybe I should just drop the security stuff...