Coming up on 3 weeks

Avgoustinos Kadis avgoustinos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 02:01:13 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 1:46 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> Hello students
>
> we're coming up on three weeks. I'd like to get some first impressions
> from you?
>
> How easy was your approach to KDE code?

Not the easiest. Maybe it's because I didn't spend enough time
(because of my exams) learning about some useful websites (like
api.kde.org, lxr.kde.org) before start coding. I still find it hard to
locate in which module each application (or library I'm looking to get
some ideas or documentation) is located. Maybe a web search for that
would be useful for newcomers. I wouldn't be fair if I wouldn't thank
my mentor (Frederik) for helping me with this one. In each IRC chat we
have I take 2-3 notes and 3-4 (or even more) useful bookmarks.

> Have you started writing code already, or are you doing high-level
> designs? Or are you still tied up in exams?

Well .. I've started a bit but I'm way in the back of what I want to
do. Better times are coming now since I've finished with uni
completely.

> Have you committed anything (code, designs, etc.)?

Just a bit of test code.

> Have you blogged? If you haven't, you should. Talking about your ideas
> often gets more people interested and giving you feedback.

I've announced my participation in my Greek and about my first commit
;) but nothing in English yet .. we will see..

> How do you like the community so far, for those of you who weren't part of
> it? Were you well received?

Crazy! What are those people doing for so many hours in IRC? Hope it's
just their computers turned on! Apart from that, they are very helpful
and friendly. I like them. I have a friend here that in his IRC (not
KDE project) they are having fun of him some times (for his questions)
and he is seriously thinking of dropping GSoC. Thankfully it's not
happening in KDE.

Well .. that's all I wanted to say ..
Good luck to everyone!

aK!