Coming up on 3 weeks

Gopala Krishna krishna.ggk at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 10:21:56 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 4:16 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> Hello students

Hello :-)

> we're coming up on three weeks. I'd like to get some first impressions
> from you?
The first impression is -  KDE is simply beautiful with wonderful
helpful colorful community. I am happy to be part of it and would
remain as a part of community even after my soc.

> How easy was your approach to KDE code?
My work is porting umbrello to GraphicsView framework, and to be
honest the code isn't that intuitive as the codebase is quite large
with varied coding style. But after going through the codebase quite a
few times, i am comfortable now though.

> Have you started writing code already, or are you doing high-level
> designs? Or are you still tied up in exams?
I have started with the code already and the first transition -
removing QCanvas dependency already compiles and works a bit as well.
I am now stuck with my exams until July 5th after which I can bounce back :-)

> Have you committed anything (code, designs, etc.)?
Yes, i have done quite a big commit recently. Probably it is the only
notable commit as it is hard to break up my work into smaller chores.

> Have you blogged? If you haven't, you should. Talking about your ideas
> often gets more people interested and giving you feedback.
I have blogged a couple of times describing my success of initial stage.

> How do you like the community so far, for those of you who weren't part of
> it? Were you well received?
The community is awesome. I am well received by Oliver, Raefel,
Sharan, Andi Fisher  - all from umbrello team, who have helped  me
shape up my code by answering my queries.
Of course my mentor - Jonathan Riddell has been instrumental in
guiding me as well. We usually communicate on IRC though the frequency
is less.

--
Cheers,
Gopala Krishna A