First status report

Rafał Rzepecki divided.mind at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 22:28:09 CEST 2005

Just to let everyone know that I am alive and hacking :-)

My apologies for not reporting earlier, but I really wanted to have anything
at all to show and tell before reporting. I'll try to keep to the weekly
schedule now.

My project is GTD for Kontact; basic deliverables for this project actually
doesn't have much to do specifically with GTD, but rather are extensions for
Kontact to be more powerful in certain aspects (which, in turn, would make it
easier to implement the GTD methodology on top of Kontact). It's just that
I have only noticed some deficencies when I've started to (try to) use GTD.

That said, there are also some ideas specific for GTD, which hopefully (and if
time permits) will be refined and implemented, but that's still in some
future date. These include some special dedicated view and print styles.
Reinhold also pointed out that some overall work on printing would be useful,
as it's not as polished as it should be (I didn't look into it yet, however).

Anyway, I've been through an extensive IRC conference with Reinhold and Till,
that helped me refine the basic ideas and get me directed. Most of the time
since then I've spent getting to know with 'advanced' features of svn (never
really used branching and merging until now), setting up my development
environment (KDevelop really crawls on my 256 MiB-RAM system on the whole
kdepim tree, so I had to settle on Kate) and getting to know the code. Also
I had to reacquaint myself to C++ and, more specifically, Qt programming
(I usually only do perl and ML development with no GUI on somehow regular
basis).

Having done all these preliminaries, I've finally started to work on
fulfilling the goals we have solidified on our IRC chat. I'd really like to
get these done ASAP, as new ideas are sprouting now and then and it would be
cool to act on them, too. That said, I am a proponent of doing The Right
Thing whenever possible, so you needn't worry about me making a mess (at
least because of the hurry).

Recently I am observing myself being on the verge of the hack mode (also in
the course of getting to know the codebase better and better), so I
anticipate (and also hope) it won't be long until the hacking gets really
intensive (and that's very important, let me tell you, because I know how
much of a slacker I normally am ;-) ).

Once again, sorry for making you g(uy|al)s worried about me.
--
Rafał Rzepecki