Visual History Report - Week 1,2

Carsten Pfeiffer pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Jul 19 19:46:09 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 15:03, Keith Hans wrote:

Hi,

> I spent most of the time reading konqueror code these two weeks. As
> suggested by David, what I am doing is in fact a sidebar plugin. So I
> focused on code at kdebase/konqueror/sidebar. So far as I learnt,
> there are several history mechanisms in Konqueror. Both HistoryEntry
> and KonqHistoryEntry are used to store history infomation, although I
> do not understand why there are two. Obviously, KonqHistoryEntry does
> not have all the info I want.  So I need to  add some new fields to

There are two, because these are two "different histories". HistoryEntry is
for the forward/backward navigation history, while KonqHistoryEntry is for
the (persistent) "visited URLs" history.

> it. Is that fine or I should define a new class inherited from
> KonqHistoryEntry?

I'm not that familiar with your project yet and don't know which information
you want to attach to a history entry, whether it should be persistent etc,
so I leave that decision to you.
If you want to attach LOTS of data, you might consider saving that information
somewhere else and looking it up on demand, instead of bloating the history
file (because there are usually LOTS of history entries, as you probably
know).

> Another problem I have is the debug issue. I'm curious what tools
> people use to trace kde programs. When I use gdb to trace konqueror, I
> could not list code in subdirectories hence could not set breakpoints
> in the sidebar plugin. Thus I could only learn how konqueror works
> through reading code.

[Hmm, it's getting time to evaluate aspect oriented languages for C++ again,
e.g. for attaching a trace-aspect.]

I can't help you with the gdb problem, but you could check out kdebugdialog
and enable all konqueror-related options. That way, you get at least the
trace-information that is in the code.

Cheers
Carsten