Visual History Report - Week 1,2

Keith Hans keithhans at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 15:03:51 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Sorry that I missed the report time last week. So I summarize the
previous two weeks in one report.

I spent most of the time reading konqueror code these two weeks. As
suggested by David, what I am doing is in fact a sidebar plugin. So I
focused on code at kdebase/konqueror/sidebar. So far as I learnt,
there are several history mechanisms in Konqueror. Both HistoryEntry
and KonqHistoryEntry are used to store history infomation, although I
do not understand why there are two. Obviously, KonqHistoryEntry does
not have all the info I want.  So I need to  add some new fields to
it. Is that fine or I should define a new class inherited from
KonqHistoryEntry?

Another problem I have is the debug issue. I'm curious what tools
people use to trace kde programs. When I use gdb to trace konqueror, I
could not list code in subdirectories hence could not set breakpoints
in the sidebar plugin. Thus I could only learn how konqueror works
through reading code.

To sum up, I had some advances in understanding konqueror but also
encountered some trouble. Probabily, I need to learn some basics about
kde/qt programming to better understand konqueror.

No blog yet. Seems that I should maintain one to faciliate
communication with my mentors and other people.

best,
Keith