Visual History Report - Week 1,2

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Jul 19 20:13:22 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 15:03, Keith Hans wrote:
> Another problem I have is the debug issue. I'm curious what tools
> people use to trace kde programs. When I use gdb to trace konqueror, I
> could not list code in subdirectories hence could not set breakpoints
> in the sidebar plugin. Thus I could only learn how konqueror works
> through reading code.

You can't set a breakpoint on a dynamically opened module before that module is loaded.
So you can't just "gdb konqueror ; break <whatever>".
But if you start konqueror in gdb, run it, and once the sidebar is there, use Ctrl-C
to get control in gdb again, and then set a breakpoint, then it should work.
Subdirs are certainly no problem. I assume you compiled kdebase with --enable-debug=full,
this gives you coherent behavior in gdb; otherwise with the optimization you see very
strange line jumping in gdb.