[kde-services-devel] Getting Started with a Server

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Mon Mar 3 09:15:51 CET 2008

Hello,

Am Sonntag 02 März 2008 22:46:46 schrieb David Solbach:
> I want to set up a test server for GHNS (Maybe with DXS support). I read
> the specification at http://ghns.freedesktop.org/spec/ghns-spec.html and
> the information on the website. Unfortunately some links are broken, and I
> couldn't download any server side software to play with.

Which links are broken?
The server software can be downloaded from either:
	http://kstuff.org/projects/downloads/hotstuff-0.9.2.tar.gz
or:
	svn://kstuff.org/kstuffsvn/trunk/hotstuff

> Can someone give me a short update on the status of GHNS (and it's
> (planned) usage in the KDE 4 series in particular)? It seems I could help
> some people by setting up a server for it. So that's basically what I want
> to do.

GHNS usage in KDE increases and the client-side code has seen a lot of changes
for improved performance and cache handling. There are still some issues
(re)appearing such as no indication if there's a network problem, but given
that a lot of content on the desktop depends on web services nowadays (e.g.
plasma applets), this could now be handled in a more generic way, at least
from what I figured out during the weekend :)
This especially affects potentially constantly updating widgets such as
KNewStuff and the local transport plasma widget (plasma_dvb).

There's a server running on data.kstuff.org which can be used to set up a GHNS
repository and play around with it. It's only partially automated at the
moment in that I need to give out SVN/upload accounts for it manually, but it
saves the hassle of installing and configuring the software. Of course, if
you plan something big, a dedicated installation would be the way to go.
Any such setup can also use other public SVNs, we recently discussed this in
the context of Amarok if you want to crawl the list archives.

Josef