kde 4.1 needs

jospoortvliet at gmail.com jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Fri May 30 07:59:52 CEST 2008

On 5/30/08, Richard <richard at cornbread.cc> wrote:

> My needs as a regular kde user:

This isn't really the list for such questions, but I'm gonna respond anyway ;-)

> This is what it will take for me to move to 4.1 from 3.5.9:
>
> 1. Desktop power: many tools at my fingertips and this includes icons in
> some fashion.

No problem, read Aaron's blog about 'no more desktop icons' (hint: the
title doesn't exactly cover what's inside)

> 2. Great right click functionality: I have many right click extensions
> currently from resizing pictures to moving a file or folder to anywhere on
> my computer with one click.

Such extensions are possible, they probably just haven't been ported yet.

> 3. I like the zoom out approach with an unlimited canvas but I want to zoom
> in and have separate desktops and even separate icon sets on each desktop.
> Also the ability to have widgets duplicated on every desktop canvas.

The zooming stuff is fairly new, and we don't know what it will look
like - feedback about it probably could be send to the ppl working on
it (Chani, to name one). Try to be a bit more verbose and clear, and
they will most likely be happy with your input :D

> 4. The choice of either compiz-fusion or kwin-compositing

Done.

> 5. Less clutter. when viewing a desktop I only want to see what windows are
> open on that desktop in the taskbar.

This is a setting on the taskbar plasmoid, has been there for a while
(4.0.2 I believe). It's off by default because new users who are alien
to the concept of multiple desktops would 'loose' their windows.

> Keep up the great work!

I'm sure the dev's will ;-)