[Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [kde-artists] NEWS flash from GNOME. :-D]]

JRT jrt256 at earthlink.net
Thu May 31 14:16:50 CEST 2007

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

He had to try to have the last word so I admit that this is another rant.

> On Thursday 31 May 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>>> -------- Original Message -------- From: James Richard Tyrer
>>> <tyrerj at acm.org> From the spec:
>>>
>>> http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.h
>>>  tml
>>>
>>> "Even if there may be an icon with a size closer to the correct
>>> one in an inherited theme, we don't want to use it. Doing so may
>>> generate an inconsistant [sic] change in an icon when you change
>>> icon sizes (e.g. zoom in)."
>> Please, lets follow the spec for KDE 4.0.
>
> actually, we follow the icon spec closer in 4.0 that we did in 3.x,
> e.g. we've adapted to the naming conventions. if you follow the steps
>  james lays out here (select oxygen, put 32px as the default, open
> the file manager) you will see oxygen icons contrary to what he's
> saying here. James has constructed a problem that doesn't exist in
> the real world

BS!  The purpose of a bug demonstration scenario is to demonstrate the
bug -- specifically to isolate it from the real world.

I note that this bug has been partially fixed since I was experimenting
with Tango.  SVG now works correctly.  If an icon size is missing, KDE
will now create the proper size icon from SVG.  However, the other
problem still exists.  Or, if you install only 16x16 and 22x22, you will
see that no resize occurs for 32x32 and see what I was talking about.

The rest of this is delusional since it has nothing to do with what I said.

> and is trying with great effort and repeated attempts to pass it off
> as the end of the icon world.

I tried to pass this off as a bug that exists and which should be fixed.
  The rest of the bug does exist and should be fixed.  See attached.  At
32x32, that is the correct CrystalSVG icon for the "Settings" applet.
At 22x22 the is the GNOME icon.  This may be different on your system.
But as I said, if you select KDEClassic (which KDE still ships so it
must be part of the real world), you will get the KDEClassic icon at
32x32 and the CrystalSVG icon at 22x22.  This is something which the
spec clearly says shouldn't happen.

> he's also taken the conversation completely out of context, which was
>  originally about how "horrible" it was that GNOME is shipping icons
>  for KDE applications.

Didn't say that it was "horrible".  Show me where I said that.  I
thought that it was amusing.  See the ":-D" in the "Subject".  But, I do
think that this is their answer to the KDE icon mess.

> this is not the first time (far from it) that he's raised this
> non-issue under various guises,

Yes, this is all the same issue, the failure of KDE to follow the
FreeDesktop icon theme spec.

> nor is it the first time the artists have tried to explain to him why
> things are the way they are.

Yes, they have tried to explain why KDEClassic icons have been installed
   as CrystalSVG and why CrystalSVG icons have been installed as HiColor.
  It seems axiomatic to me that this is wrong.  Doing this is a kludge
that would be better resolved by other means.

> for those who were needlessly and ungraciously subjected to this
> thread, let me just provide the context that this is his modus
> operandi and after a few years of dealing with his needlessly
> argumentative and contentious behaviour, i'm tired of it.

Yes, I am argumentative and contentious but I do not turn to ad hominem
attacks when I can't win an argument.  I try to stick to the facts.

> posting this to a list where it is obviously off-topic is just more
> of the same from James and why i responded as bluntly

I am blunt.  Being blunt does not mean using personal insults.

> as i did to him in the first place. i apologize to everyone whose
> inbox was needlessly bloated by his innapropriate cross-posting.
>
> for those who *are* new here: kde does greet people with open arms
> and go to great lengths to welcome all equally, but that doesn't mean
>  the project is open for or tollerates abuse. the fact that James has
>  consistently engaged in this behaviour for years before it getting
> to this point says a lot. if anything, we're too understanding and
> err on the side hospitality.

Several former KDE developers have privately emailed me to tell me other
wise.  And remember that we lost MOSFET because he couldn't stand the
way core developers treated him.

So, if you have an idea and you advocate in favor of it, expect the same
kinds of abuse that I have received.  People will claim that this is a
"meritocracy" but what really seems to have merit is group think.

> and i'm not sure what any of this has to do with kde-quality. =/

What it has to do with quality is that AJS's attitude is not favorable
to making a quality product.

Quality: bugs need to be fixed, and standards need to be followed.

AJS: that isn't part of the real world.

--
JRT