[Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [kde-artists] NEWS flash from GNOME. :-D]]

Jos Poortvliet jos at mijnkamer.nl
Thu May 31 14:31:10 CEST 2007

On 5/31/07, JRT <jrt256 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Several former KDE developers have privately emailed me to tell me other
> wise.  And remember that we lost MOSFET because he couldn't stand the
> way core developers treated him.
>
> So, if you have an idea and you advocate in favor of it, expect the same
> kinds of abuse that I have received.  People will claim that this is a
> "meritocracy" but what really seems to have merit is group think.

Meritocracy doesn't mean people always look only at arguments.
Meritocracy means your reputation (based on what  you've done and are)
is the base of your influence. So if you're a well-known core
developer, who wrote a lot of great code, people tend to listen to
you. If you mostly participated in flame-fests, and don't have much
(high-profile) contributions on your name, people don't listen (yes,
even if you're right).

Of course, the way you SAY things makes a big difference. To be
honest, using sarcasm and being blunt is a pretty stupid way of
communicating over email. Email REALLY isn't appropriate for that, you
should be a lot more carefull over mail than you are in real life.

Anyway, as I said before, you would get a lot more done if you knew
when to stop. No matter if you're right, the results are what count.
If you're know for being blunt instead of for being a great
contributor, your chances of getting ppl to agree with you diminish.
You'r reputation makes it impossible for you to get things done here.

If you really want to help KDE, you should stop fighting people, even
if you're right. Try to build a good name by working with people, not
against them. Then you might be able to fight some problems
(preferably face to face - come to akademy if you really want to get
this kind of issues fixed).

> AJS: that isn't part of the real world.

Real world sucks, so I'm pretty sure it is ;-)