Introduction - New Contributor

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sat May 12 16:23:52 CEST 2007

Ho Roshan,

On Saturday 12 May 2007 15:30:48 Roshan wrote:
> It goes without saying, Introduction has been the
> "traditional" "first-post" to any list. I'm here to do
> no different.

Welcome to the club!

> found that there are three tasks, specifically, that I
> can contribute to in the documentation.

Great, and you've already found the -i18n lists (maybe kde-i18n-doc@ would be
better yet) to work with. That's much more focused for documentation-specific
work. You can ignore -quality as far as that goes.

> But if there are any exisitng documentation that needs
> an update, and if you think, I can help, please do let
> me know.

Documentation that I know needs a tremendous amount of work is KPilot's user
manual; KMail is a more important application where a lot of new features are
under-documented. And of course you can just go through existing manuals and
check that they (still) match the apps.

> Oh yes, I don't know how to use DocBook, but I suppose
> that's not a mandatory criteria for *beginners*. Once
> I am good at writing documentation in plain text, I
> can learn DocBook and later contribute documentation
> using DocBook.

I've always understood that plain text content sent to the docs team will do,
since doing docbook right is a pain in the nether regions.

> Kudos! to all KDE developers and the entire team for
> KDE 4.0 alpha release. I'm waiting to breathe some
> 'oxygen' ;)

KDE4 documentation hasn't really started yet, I don't think.

--
KDE Quality Team  http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/
GPG: FEA2 A3FE    http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/