[Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [kde-artists] NEWS flash from GNOME. :-D]]

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sat Jun 2 00:59:56 CEST 2007

[[ Catching up with email after several days of LinuxTag, responding as list
admin ]]

On Thursday 31 May 2007 08:22:48 JRT wrote:
> Sorry to post something controversial to the list.
>
> I think that new people should know what they are getting into.

The charter of this list is twofold:

- work on quality checking with automated tools of KDE source code
- pointing new contributors in the right direction

The second point is a bit of a historical accident, since the "quality teams"
were supposed to gather here. But they never did, and new contributors seldom
show up here -- more often, they show up on the relevant technical list for a
given subproject. But new people who show up here receive the same kind of
support -- pointers to documentation, possibly suggestions of good starting
jobs, names of technical lists, names of people to contact, and a small dose
of 'how things work in KDE' -- as elsewhere. Yes, people should know what
they are getting into, in a positive and forward-looking fashion.

> And to say that the greatest improvement that KDE-Quality can make in
> KDE is to somehow change the attitude of the core developers.
>
> The complete thread is on KDE-Artists.  You can try to figure out how
> what started as my posting something that I found amusing -- it even has
> a funny title -- degenerated into personal insults from TR and AJS.
>
> This is not the attitude of the leadership of a project that I want to
> work for.

However, this -- reposting grievances from other mailing lists as "warnings"
to others -- is out of line with the charter of the mailing list and is
actively harmful to the community; the community now and new contributors who
deserve to find their way in their own manner. Maybe they contribute in
different ways or solve the technical problems that linger around. They do
not deserve to be poisoned by statements such as these.

This message and your behavior surrounding it is harmful to the KDE community
as a whole. It does not belong here or anywhere else. I will take technical
measures to prevent a repeat.

--
KDE Quality Team  http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/
GPG: FEA2 A3FE    http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/