Coming out from the corner

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue Jul 3 12:44:18 CEST 2007

On Monday 02 July 2007 20:45:59 Aaron Mangoroban wrote:
> Hey all, I've been on this list for some time now and most, or should I say
> all of the time I just have been lurking.  I have always wanted to
> contribute something with KDE considering that I have been using it on and
> off for more than three years but I do not know the direction I need to
> take.  After some thinking and building up some confidence, I have decided
> to come out and try to see where I can help out.

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the club!

> I probably just don't
> have the confidence coz I feel all the people are good at what they do.  I
> have done a bit of translation already for kde (for TL) but i was using
> rosetta in ubuntu (downstream).

TL is Tamil? I'm just guessing here. Have you checked if the translations have
ended upstream as well? That's sometimes a problem with Rosetta.

> I am planning to continue translation
> upstream again once I setup my gentoo box with KDE but I don't know who or
> how to submit it to.  The person listed
> http://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=tl is no longer active.

OIf a translation team is moribund then it may be best to get an SVN account
yourself. That would make you the new TL coordinator.

> Aside from translation, I could also help out with web projects especially
> if its going to Drupal.  I know C++ but haven't done any coding in years.
> Any direction you could point me to would be appreciated.  More power to
> all!

The people working on drupal w/ KDE websites are Luke Parry and some others
over on kde-promo, I believe. I don't think the main websites will be going
to drupal; many sites *are* going over to mediawiki though. The kde-www
mailing list is the best place to talk webstuff (althugh it's not very
active).

You can always pick your C++ up again by finding some small jobs to work on or
by scratching an itch. The KDE PIM project in particular could use some help.

--
KDE Quality Team  http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/
GPG: FEA2 A3FE    http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/