Better default toolbar setting

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Thu Sep 14 23:06:22 CEST 2006

El Jueves, 14 de Septiembre de 2006 22:46, Stefan Monov escribió:
> Inâki,
>
> > "Check mail" is just one icon, and it's probably one of the most obvious
> > icons in a mail client toolbar. Why you want to hide it?
>
> 1. the less icons, the better (all other things equal)

I think you can choose any other icon to hide it instead of the "check mail"
icon.

> (on that note, you haven't answered that yet: If the Oxygen
> get/reply/forward icons are indeed easily distinguishable, then do we need
> text under them?)

Ok, these icon are very good, but, could be all the icons so easily
distinguishable?

Two cases:
- YES, so we don't need text under them.
- NO, so we need text but, "only" in some of them? or in all the icons to save
the uniform style of all the KDE apps? or just hide all the icon text even if
some icon meaning is not easy?

I don't know which is better :(

> the user shouldn't choose when to check mail in.

Why??? there have been in this thread a lot of good examples of cases where
any user can need to check mail manually:

- Receiving something important e.g. by someone you are communicating
real-time via IM or phone.
- Signing up somewhere.
- In mobile use, when one just wants to check for new mails and do
nothing else, turn on notebook, check mail, shutdown.

Sorry, but I thinks it's obvious that there are good reasons to have a "check
mail" icon by default in any mail client. Do you know any mail client without
that button??

Regards.

> > > The problem here is that you never know exactly when the confirmation
> > > email will be received, and if you click "get mail" 1s earlier, *bang*
> > > you're blocked. So a "get mail" toolbutton is not a solution for that.
> >
> > Kind of... but in most cases it works fine for me this way...
>
> Then you're probably lucky, dunno. Do we want to rely on that?

> > > Basic in terms of familiarity, not of necessity. ;-)
> >
> > I must admit I begin to dig that revolutionary approach. I really do
>
> (point taken)
>
> > yet
> > a) familiarity is a point, you see
>
> Yes, but isn't its effect minimized by displaying the tip I mentioned?
>
> > b) it's still likely to be more necessary than some of the other buttons
> > I never clicked before I discovered them one minute ago
> > jolly things like those "Go to the next unread message"-buttons
>
> I'm not keen on these buttons either. Feel free to file a bug for ditching
> them.

Iñaki