Better default toolbar setting

Stefan Monov logixoul at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 22:46:38 CEST 2006

Inâki,
> "Check mail" is just one icon, and it's probably one of the most obvious
> icons in a mail client toolbar. Why you want to hide it?
1. the less icons, the better (all other things equal)
2. it'll enable me to claim that icons don't need text under them

(on that note, you haven't answered that yet: If the Oxygen get/reply/forward
icons are indeed easily distinguishable, then do we need text under them?)

> It's exactly like if you'd propose to hide the "Save" button in Kword
> because the user can increase the automatic save interval. ¿?¿
No.
Document modification depends on the user -> the user should choose when to
save. OTOH receiving mail doesn't depend on the user -> the user shouldn't
choose when to check mail in. It's important to note that saving at the wrong
time to save (or not saving at the right time to save) can lead to data loss.
Therefore interval saving isn't adequate by itself.

Gruen,
> > The problem here is that you never know exactly when the confirmation
> > email will be received, and if you click "get mail" 1s earlier, *bang*
> > you're blocked. So a "get mail" toolbutton is not a solution for that.
> Kind of... but in most cases it works fine for me this way...
Then you're probably lucky, dunno. Do we want to rely on that?

> > > It's just the most basic function of an e-mail software.
> > Basic in terms of familiarity, not of necessity. ;-)
> I must admit I begin to dig that revolutionary approach. I really do
(point taken)

> yet
> a) familiarity is a point, you see
Yes, but isn't its effect minimized by displaying the tip I mentioned?

> b) it's still likely to be more necessary than some of the other buttons I
> never clicked before I discovered them one minute ago
> jolly things like those "Go to the next unread message"-buttons
I'm not keen on these buttons either. Feel free to file a bug for ditching
them.