Better default toolbar setting

Stefan Monov logixoul at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 20:52:52 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 21:20, Iñaki wrote:
> El Miércoles, 13 de Septiembre de 2006 19:22, Stefan Monov escribió:
> > Oxygen's (work-in-progress) mail_get, mail_forward and
> > mail_reply are easily distinguishable (unlike Crystal SVG's).
[...]
> >Do you agree?
> Yes, they are very good icons!
If they are indeed good, then we don't need text under them, do we?

> > > Examples:
> > > - A user has registered himself in a page and need to check the
> > > "confirm" mail.
> > > - A user has bought a travel and need to print the ticked he will
> > > receive attached in a mail.
> > > - A user asks by mail to somebody about an important problem, so he
> > > needs to check manually the inbox.
> > An alternative is to decrease the checking interval. What's wrong with
> > that?
> I can sure that many users know nothinc about the possibility of automatic
> mail check interval. they don't know that this option exists so they won't
> look for it in a small checkbos in "Preferences".
Then the option needs to be made more visible. This, I think, is doable.

> > > http://www.udel.edu/topics/e-mail/macosxmail/index.html
> > > Do you think it could look better without the icons text?
> > No.
> > But that's only because Mac has the menubar outside the window, which
> > lifts some text overload from the window. Hence they can afford to have
> > icons with text and still avoid suffocating the user.
> > And before you say it, no, I'm not saying Mac-style menubars should be
> > made default in KDE... they aren't intuitive.
> I agree with you. I don't like the Mac menubars style, I tried it in my KDE
> for 2 weeks and returned to the classic style.
Actually I use it exclusively. I don't think it's good for newbies, though.

> About the height space of the menubar text, I've already suggested the
> possibility of hiding the menu bar in a big button "Menu" in the top-left
> corner, as I did in a Konqueror mockup: http://konqueror4.linuxdevel.net
*If* this goes into KDE, then text under icons will look fine, yes. Start a
new thread on that.