Better default toolbar setting

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at gmx.de
Thu Sep 14 12:10:04 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 19:22, Stefan Monov wrote:
> > At work I must many times to forward or redirect a mail.
>
> Good.
> However, Oxygen's (work-in-progress) mail_get, mail_forward and mail_reply
> are easily distinguishable (unlike Crystal SVG's). Compare:
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/artwork/Oxygen/theme/svg/actions/mai
>l_get.svg?rev=546749
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/artwork/Oxygen/theme/svg/actions/mai
>l_forward.svg?rev=546749
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/artwork/Oxygen/theme/svg/actions/mai
>l_reply.svg?rev=546749 Do you agree?
>
> > And many people like to forward "cool" mails to their friends.
>
> Most people do this relatively rarely, so it doesn't justify being on the
> toolbar.

> > > Why do they do it?
> >
> > Examples:
> > - A user has registered himself in a page and need to check the "confirm"
> > mail.
> > - A user has bought a travel and need to print the ticked he will receive
> > attached in a mail.
> > - A user asks by mail to somebody about an important problem, so he needs
> > to check manually the inbox.
>
> An alternative is to decrease the checking interval. What's wrong with
> that?

Well, usually one wouldn't change the check interval to 30 seconds or 1 minute
just because he /sometimes/ wants to retrieve messages instantly.
If you want instant fetching, like when receiving something important e.g. by
someone you are communicating real-time via IM or phone, signing up somewhere
etc. such a button makes perfect sense. Another case where forced checks make
sense is in mobile use, when one just wants to check for new mails and do
nothing else, turn on notebook, check mail, shutdown.

Checking for mail is a "key action" in a mail reader, so I would think thrice
before removing it from the taskbar just because you guess interval settings
are widely used.

Also, you make a lot of bold claims what people do how often, I wonder if that
is backed up by any data or just guessing.

Frank