Better default toolbar setting

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Wed Sep 13 20:20:52 CEST 2006

El Miércoles, 13 de Septiembre de 2006 19:22, Stefan Monov escribió:
> > At work I must many times to forward or redirect a mail.
>
> Good.
> However, Oxygen's (work-in-progress) mail_get, mail_forward and mail_reply
> are easily distinguishable (unlike Crystal SVG's). Compare:
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/artwork/Oxygen/theme/svg/actions/mai
>l_get.svg?rev=546749
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/artwork/Oxygen/theme/svg/actions/mai
>l_forward.svg?rev=546749
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/artwork/Oxygen/theme/svg/actions/mai
>l_reply.svg?rev=546749
>Do you agree?

Yes, they are very good icons!

> > Examples:
> > - A user has registered himself in a page and need to check the "confirm"
> > mail.
> > - A user has bought a travel and need to print the ticked he will receive
> > attached in a mail.
> > - A user asks by mail to somebody about an important problem, so he needs
> > to check manually the inbox.
>
> An alternative is to decrease the checking interval. What's wrong with
> that?

I can sure that many users know nothinc about the possibility of automatic
mail check interval. they don't know that this option exists so they won't
look for it in a small checkbos in "Preferences".

> > http://www.udel.edu/topics/e-mail/macosxmail/index.html
> > Do you think it could look better without the icons text?
>
> No.
> But that's only because Mac has the menubar outside the window, which lifts
> some text overload from the window. Hence they can afford to have icons
> with text and still avoid suffocating the user.
> And before you say it, no, I'm not saying Mac-style menubars should be made
> default in KDE... they aren't intuitive.

I agree with you. I don't like the Mac menubars style, I tried it in my KDE
for 2 weeks and returned to the classic style.
About the height space of the menubar text, I've already suggested the
possibility of hiding the menu bar in a big button "Menu" in the top-left
corner, as I did in a Konqueror mockup: http://konqueror4.linuxdevel.net
(thanks again for the domain)  ;)

Regards.

--