Better default toolbar setting

Stefan Monov logixoul at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 19:22:17 CEST 2006

> At work I must many times to forward or redirect a mail.
Good.
However, Oxygen's (work-in-progress) mail_get, mail_forward and mail_reply are
easily distinguishable (unlike Crystal SVG's). Compare:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/artwork/Oxygen/theme/svg/actions/mail_get.svg?rev=546749
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/artwork/Oxygen/theme/svg/actions/mail_forward.svg?rev=546749
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/artwork/Oxygen/theme/svg/actions/mail_reply.svg?rev=546749
Do you agree?

> And many people like to forward "cool" mails to their friends.
Most people do this relatively rarely, so it doesn't justify being on the
toolbar.

> > > I don't think so. Me and people I meet check mail manually with band
> > > width. They receive it periodically, yes, but some times many users
> > > press in "Receive mail".
> > Why do they do it?
> Examples:
> - A user has registered himself in a page and need to check the "confirm"
> mail.
> - A user has bought a travel and need to print the ticked he will receive
> attached in a mail.
> - A user asks by mail to somebody about an important problem, so he needs
> to check manually the inbox.
An alternative is to decrease the checking interval. What's wrong with that?

> http://www.udel.edu/topics/e-mail/macosxmail/index.html
> Do you think it could look better without the icons text?
No.
But that's only because Mac has the menubar outside the window, which lifts
some text overload from the window. Hence they can afford to have icons with
text and still avoid suffocating the user.
And before you say it, no, I'm not saying Mac-style menubars should be made
default in KDE... they aren't intuitive.

> http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagen:Mozilla_thunderbird_empty_screenshot.
> Do you think it could look better without the icons text?
Honestly yes.