Better default toolbar setting

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Wed Sep 6 00:49:06 CEST 2006

El Martes, 5 de Septiembre de 2006 15:54, Aaron J. Seigo escribió:
> On Monday 04 September 2006 14:40, Iñaki wrote:
> > I understand the technical reasons but there must be other way to show
> > icons with text better than the actual way. I have tried to set my Kmail
> > toolbar with big icons + text and it's impossible:
>
> this thread is trying to solve the wrong problem. developers simply need to
> provide proper length texts for their toolbars and minimize the number of
> buttons on them.
>
> this would never happen unless the text was there by default and so we did
> so. now it's up to application developers to fix their toolbars.
>
> toolbar buttons should not have long texts, period. 3 short words is the
> max. and yeah, i know about i18n .. those translations simply need to
> figure it out.

Yes, I thinks that is the point. I see Thunderbird or any Mac's applications
and there is text below the icons, but just 1 or 2 words, no more, so the
look of the toolbar is uniform and the buttons provide an intuitive
description about their actions.

As you can see in my screenshot, the Kmail button for going to the next not
read message is (in Spanish):
and text of the button for creating a mail for the mail list is:
  "Nuevo mensaje a la lista de correo".

In this way is not possible to show a good toolbar, just icons, just pictures.

I don't know, but couldn't be a solution if the future KDE guidelines force
the width of the icons in toolbars? In this way the developers and
translators will be forced to use short text.

Regards.

--
Iñaki