Better default toolbar setting

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Mon Sep 4 22:40:56 CEST 2006

El Domingo, 3 de Septiembre de 2006 13:53, Stefan Monov escribió:
> > Show the icon text in two lines.
>
> Still only a tiny fraction of all toolbuttons would require this measure.
> And having one in a dozen toolbuttons multiline isn't an appealing option.
>
> > The icon width could be constant.
>
> No.
> We cannot determine what could the max needed width be. Let's say I have 2
> applications installed - KFirst and seKond. KFirst has 2 toolbuttons: Blah
> and BarBaz. seKond has 2 toolbuttons: Foo and ReallyLongToolbuttonName.
> When only KFirst is open, we could set a constant width equal to BarBaz's
> (it's the widest). But then seKond is launched and *bam*, we need to change
> the constant width to ReallyLongToolbuttonName's (it's the new widest).
> Across the whole desktop. We don't want to do that.

I understand the technical reasons but there must be other way to show icons
with text better than the actual way. I have tried to set my Kmail toolbar
with big icons + text and it's impossible:

 - I use 1280x1024 resolution (it's a good resolution I hope).
 - I have deleted some default icons as "move to trash all the icons"
and "help".

But look at this screenshot:
  http://www.euskalnet.net/ibc/Kmail-icon-text-toolbar.jpg

It's not possible because the text of MANY icons is too width, and the same
occurs in a lot of KDE apps.

Possible solutions:

- a) Text in two lines.
- b) Set a maximun icon width and truncate the excedded text (and show it as
tooltip when mouse over).
- c) Hide the text and show it in a cool way (maybe appearing below the icon)
just when mouse over.

I'm not sure of which one could be the best method, but the actual way in KDE3
is not enough: it forces to hide the text necessarily.

Regards.

--
Iñaki