Better default toolbar setting

Stefan Monov logixoul at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 13:53:22 CEST 2006

> > www.dcc.ufmg.br/~hpinto/konqueror-kde4.png
> Upss, IMHO this toolbar wates too much space. Konqueror doesn't need a so
> long navigation bar in a common 1024x768 monitor.

> In a web or file browser the "Back", "Home", etc buttons don't need text to
> describe them, they actions are obvious.
You mean some toolbuttons should have text and some shouldn't, on the same
toolbar? Now that would be hideous. + users wouldn't know why this is so.

> What Konqueror doesn't need are 3 icons to choose the view mode, why not a
> simple icon to choose between "icon view" and "list view".
To get *any* novices to change their Konq view, we need to make it a
single-click action. Two buttons, then.
And we need one more - "preview view". See Dolphin:

> And then, the user could personalize the view mode with advanced options in
> the "View" menu (as "tree" mode, "multicolumn" and so).
No.
Distinctions like "Icon View" - "Multicolumn View" should be ditched
altogether. Users don't need them and have a hard time understanding them.

> Show the icon text in two lines.
Still only a tiny fraction of all toolbuttons would require this measure. And
having one in a dozen toolbuttons multiline isn't an appealing option.

> The icon width could be constant.
No.
We cannot determine what could the max needed width be. Let's say I have 2
applications installed - KFirst and seKond. KFirst has 2 toolbuttons: Blah
and BarBaz. seKond has 2 toolbuttons: Foo and ReallyLongToolbuttonName. When
only KFirst is open, we could set a constant width equal to BarBaz's (it's
the widest). But then seKond is launched and *bam*, we need to change the
constant width to ReallyLongToolbuttonName's (it's the new widest). Across
the whole desktop. We don't want to do that.

> But if the icon appear alone they should be very very explanatory, and not
> always they are so.
Are you saying that icons can't possibly be *made* explanatory enough?
Or just that icons are *currently* not explanatory enough?

> what a star icon is? in KDE it's the bookmarks, but who understand
> it the first time he run a KDE app?
Please start a thread on kde-artists to replace the star for faves with a red
heart in Crystal SVG. Other icon themes, like Tango, have got it right.

> By default KDE apps show a very small icons.
Please file a bugreport asking to increase the default size.

> Two solutions:
> a) Show label below/near the icons.
> b) Show bigger icons (so visually most explanatory).
Yes.
And as I already said, a) is not feasible. Therefore, as I already said, b) is
the way to go.

> I think you prefer Vi ;)
vi sucks. Long live chairman LyX.

> > No.
> > We can reasonably expect that the user has been exposed to a hardware
> > music player device before. These commonly signify "stop" by a square.
> > Therefore a square is always interpreted as "stop", especially when it's
> > a red one (red denotes "stop" in a variety of applications). Same goes
> > for the other icons.
> Ok, you are right. But what you say just occur with some icons
Which ones doesn't it occur with (except, arguably, the star for favorites)?

> Most of KDE apps show too much icons.
Please file a bugreports against all concerned apps asking to decrease the
number of icons by default.