Is KDE really usable?

Peter M. Groen pgroen at osdev.nl
Mon Oct 23 00:35:58 CEST 2006

On Monday 23 October 2006 00:02, Iñaki wrote:
> El Domingo, 22 de Octubre de 2006 23:43, Lex Hider escribió:
> > Thanks for the feed back. The most appropriate action to take is to file
> > bugs for the problems that you find with KDE. Also, we can always need
> > more help, so we'd love to see more contributors in general.
>
> Hi Lex.
>
> I usually report all the bugs and suggestions to bugs.kde.org. But in this
> case my intention wasn't report bugs.
>
> I was to clarify that the actual KDE is not enough reliable to be used in
> an office. It provides a lot of technical features but when any exotic
> feature of them is used (webdav calendar or fish vcard) KDE apps become
> inestable and crash or work wrong.
>
> The general usability have important issues too. It's not easy to use KDE
> for common tasks by common users.
>
> Of course, I'll try to help improving those issues by reporting them and
> suggesting new proposals. Or I'll try it  ;)
>
> Regards.

I was reading this post and was a bit surprised. I use KDE (From 1999 ) for my
daily business and yes, it has improved tremendously over the years. I'll be
the last to claim it is flawless, but definitely useable for an office
environment like mine. But maybe I was lucky. (Yes WebDav is used, VCards are
used, Kontact is running constant and invitations from Outlook are processed
without problems..)

I'm not an ordinary user, but my wife is and she has the same experience with
KDE like I do.

So maybe you can post some info on your configuration? Maybe KUbuntu Dapper
has build a broken KDE-chain. I've heard many complaints about Kubuntu
regarding the desktop but also people who stick with it because it is stable
enough for them.
I myself use Fedora Core 5 on a VAIO FE11S (nVidia Go 7100) with the
KDE-updates from http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

Kind Regards,
--
Peter M. Groen