Is KDE really usable?

chris chris at deadhand.com
Tue Oct 24 19:41:23 CEST 2006

Am Dienstag, 24. Oktober 2006 19:01 schrieb Bram Schoenmakers:
> I believe bug reports should be submitted by people who have a clue what
> they are doing and using. If you lower the barrier such that every user can
> submit a bug with just a single button, the quality of the bug reports
> decrease as well. It causes a lot of duplicate bugs or useless bug reports.
>
> The way it is now, it forces people to think a little bit before they
> submit. Which is in my opinion better. I don't feel that this should be
> changed to something more easier.

I agree with your opinion for every kind of bug or feature request expect the
crashing bugs mentioned. The specific example at hand - Konqueror - kind of
shows that the current way of reporting crash bugs is not sufficient for some
reason.
If after years of bug reporting, fixes and new KDE releases Konqueror still
crashes as often as it does, something has to be wrong hasn't it?

From all that I know I can only assume that it's the bug reports which maybe
aren't precise and / or numerous enough. And what precision should there be
in such a bug? Isn't the debuglog that KDE's crash handler creates the
important stuff? If so, how knowledgeable a user should someone be to report
those bugs? Ok, too many rethorical questions. My point is, that Konqueror
still crashes a lot and we can only guess that it's because the bugs couldn't
yet be tracked properly.

Maybe all of this will be solved by dumbing down or in the worst case even
replacing Konqueror with something like Dolphin before KDE4 is released, but
still it's questionable if that'll solve all the crashing. Some of the copy /
move / drag'n'drop crashes might be related to kio_file or something similar
instead of Konqueror itself.

Regards,
Chris