Test for kde4.0 ?

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Wed May 17 13:09:43 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 19:23 pm, Laurent Montel wrote:
> I think that it will a good idea to start to create little method to test
> kde4.0 for the begining.
I'm not sure I understand what your preferred approach is. Are you looking for
an automated test mechanism, or a set of test procedures that would be run by
a user and evaluated in a more qualitative way?

I think that there is probably a case for both, but a generic test procedure
probably isn't going to be able to be scripted.

So maybe we should start with a manual test procedures. There is a (basic)
example of what sort of procedures we could have at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Long

Obviously it would look a bit different. for a KDE application. Perhaps a
generic test could be:
1. Start application under test
2. Press F1. Ensure help starts.
3. Inspect manual - verify that manual is not just a stub, and that it matches
application under test.
[96 more steps in here]
100. Close application.

For bonus points, do all that under Valgrind .

We may need to have a couple of variations to the procedure (e.g. one for
document based apps would need to open a new document, modify it, save it,
reopen it, etc).

Brad