Test for kde4.0 ?

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Wed May 17 16:01:55 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 13:09, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 May 2006 19:23 pm, Laurent Montel wrote:
> > I think that it will a good idea to start to create little method to test
> > kde4.0 for the begining.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what your preferred approach is. Are you looking
> for an automated test mechanism, or a set of test procedures that would be
> run by a user and evaluated in a more qualitative way?

It is rather unclear, yes. Automated tests can be scripted, but of course need
to have some quantifiable thing to test *against*. For instance, Laurent
mentions file permissions -- but then we need to know what the permissions
ought to be in the first place. UI testing can be done with Squish, but again
only if we know what needs to be measured. Checking manuals for accuracy (or
existence) is something that we need to leave to people.

It (manual checking) is actually something that fits well with the purpose of
this mailing list, since checking a manual for existence and non-triviality
is something that requires diligence but no coding skills -- it's a good way
to contribute without touching code.

To execute something like this we (the quality team) need to define a check
and a list of things to check and a way to report the results. Something for
the EBN, for sure.

> So maybe we should start with a manual test procedures. There is a (basic)
> example of what sort of procedures we could have at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Long

I'll take a look.

> 1. Start application under test
> 2. Press F1. Ensure help starts.

That at least can be automated :)

--
As of September 1st, 2004, the University of Nijmegen will _still_ be the
University of Nijmegen, but with a different nonsensical adjective in front.