New project: Aktions

Zak Jensen coolguyzak at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 23:52:03 CET 2006

On 3/15/06, Mr Bulldog <bulldogsay at gmail.com> wrote:
> it is a good idea and well documented, but really I don't think that Kde is
> ready for it or at least parts won't be needed for it. For example the Kde
> promotion team was only just set up and we haven't produced a questionnaire
> on about kde desktop usage that has been officialy released. I think that we
> should have more expirience collecting data and using it and perhaps when
> kde 4 is released the system could be created, maybe even if enougn time for
> koffice 2.0 Yet to keep it simple, working with basic questionnaires would
> be best off now, unless a developer would be intrested in developing it.
> However I do agree that for kde 4 or a future release, a more innovative
> system should be created, ever for say konqueror or something else. This is
> my bread and butter, but I'd suggest speaking to the promo team about it, as
> it may work well together.

I am guessing that you did not fully understand what this idea
incorporates. Aktions is not a toolkit used to survey users about the
use of their computer. The purpose of Aktions is to collect usage
statistics, such as "What is the average number of keyboard
accelerators a KDE user knows?" or "How often is the cut button on the
toolbar used?".

I don't like to refer to it in such a bad light, but Aktions is
essentially spyware. It tracks how you use your computer, in a similar
vein to the "anonymous usability statistics" checkboxes within
Microsoft Office and several Google products.

The ability to submit statistics will be lacking in the first few
releases, but it could be added after we recieve our reactions from
the community.

Thanks for your response!

-Zak