New project: Aktions

Ellen Reitmayr ellen at kde.org
Sun Mar 19 14:56:18 CET 2006

Hi Zak,

let me first introduce myself to make my point of view more clear: I'm member
of the KDE usability and HCI project, and working as a usability
professional.

While I agree that it's the dream of each usability expert to gain statistical
data how users use their applications from the whole user base, I have big
concerns using anonymous feedback mechanism like you described in the HTML
document. This discussion is not new to me, so far it has come up in many OSS
projects I've worked in. It is always an idea developed by developers, and
IMHO an attempt to solve a *usability* problem technically.

The reason why we do usability testing and user observation in controlled
environments (either in a lab or sitting next to a user in his/her actual
work environment and just watching them) is that it provides the ability to
collect *context information*. Without knowing the context of a certain use
situation, you are not able to evaluate if the actions a user performs are
appropriate or not. Without knowing the goals a user has, you can not say if
the chosen action was helpful to fulfill the goal. Even worse, you don't know
when or if a goal was achieved at all. We do usability testing instead of
collecting anonymous data because we need to *ask* for such goals and the
user's background, only then we can explain a user's behaviour.

From a bunch of anonymous data, you will get several high and low peaks, and
sequences of actions. Without knowing about their tasks it's impossible to
know if actions were not used because they were not part of the task they
wanted to perform, or if they did not find them. Taking Thomas' example of
DnD in Konqui, you'll never know it the people don't do it because they've
already learned it does not work, or if they don't use dnd. Even worse,
information about the user is missing! How do you know if the people who sent
in their data belong to your targetted user group? Maybe all your data comes
from the developers themselves, how should you know?? Even if Microsoft used
these mechanisms successfully, the method does not convince me. Of course
you'll get some basic data, but after all, they also had to supplemented it
by extensive user testing and observation of users in their work environment
to gain a usable application.

And here we get to my second, even bigger concern: A software that is
*potentially* able to call home, is not trustworth for many users. I very
well remember when Microsoft XP was launched: The first thing everybody who
got a new PC running XP was told by his peers was to switch off the 'call
home' function. Still, people were unsure if it really was switched off. If a
software has the power to observe you and send the data to an unkown
recipient, a user cannot be sure if a simple button to switch off the
function really works.

You may argue that an additional software that needs to be installed manually
might be a solution - but then I wonder how we should address all those
non-power users whose data is of most interest for KDE?

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but I've heard that solution quite often. In the
first run I somehow liked the idea to get a big bunch of statistical data.
But the benefits (which are less than you might first expect due to the
missing contextual information) do not outweigh the costs, namely loss in the
user's trust for KDE. When it comes to sending usage data back home, there is
a clear answer from my side: Don't!

However, KTips is another thing. In applications where you know about
weaknesses of the interface that can't be fixed by the one or the other
reason, you might specifically support the user. If he uses some bad
workarounds we know that are likely to occure, we can tell the user.

Here, the approach is the other way round: Instead of tracking the user and
taking his data as a basis of our usability work, we do usability work first,
identify the major pitfalls, and provide proper support in these situations.
The difference is that these tips are *context-based*, we observe certain
actions, assume a context of use, ask the user if it's the case and if so, we
provide help. Fine-tuning will be a challenge, though :)

If you also like that idea of context-based tips, I'd be happy to support you
to find out major pitfalls in a certain application. Kontact keeps coming to
my mind... ;-)

Cheers,
/el

--