Konqueror for a New Experience (mockup)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 14 19:13:25 CET 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 10:48, jos poortvliet wrote:
> to put it on a side for example would be cool, too. but I think you should
> try to get a hold on it, try it, check it out. not al MS ideas are bad.

oh, i know. i've borrowed ideas from windows for kde in the past =)

> they put a lot of thought AND user testing in this. did you know the size
> and location of EVERY action in the ribbon has been established by
> extensive user testing? for example, they decided to make the paste bigger
> than copy and cut, as it was used more often... we simply don't have the
> resources to do such a thing, i'm afraid. using the work THEY dit for us
> would be nice, so...

well, a lot of their usability hype is pure marketing bullshit. =)
they have been doing a LOT more real usability testing in recent years (and i
think it shows in certain places, such as explorer's side bars), but they
sell themselves very long in this regard and don't put nearly as much tallent
and resources as they try and make it look like into it. just like they do on
security. we really need to be careful to not drink too much of the MS
marketing kool-aide (and they are pouring it on THICK recently).

> btw i think we agree - we must be carefull.

yes =)

> at least OO.o will not beat MS i think, so i hope Koffice (my lovely
> workhorse ;-) ) can do that...

i've been saying for a few years now that OOo is nothing but a stop-gap
solution and that koffice is the way forward. i used to get a lot of "what?
why do you think that?" but not so much anymore as it becomes more and more
apparent what OOo's strengths and weaknesses are.

--
Aaron J. Seigo