Konqueror for a New Experience (mockup)

jos poortvliet jos at mijnkamer.nl
Tue Mar 14 18:48:34 CET 2006

Op dinsdag 14 maart 2006 18:05, schreef Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Tuesday 14 March 2006 04:03, jos poortvliet wrote:
> > have a look how vista solved this: it will take some getting-used-to, but
> > it's all there - they put all important stuff in a few small menu things
> > on the right, and all other stuff in the sidebar's and toolbar. it's a
> > clever thing (one of the few things vista did right). MS Office 12 has
> > some cool
>
> i'm always very careful of talking about successes in the past tense for
> products that haven't made it to the general public yet. microsoft's
> demoting the menubar may work out really well (menubars are little more
> than necessary evils IMHO), but i've seen a lot of "good ideas" be
> implemented with fervor only to get dropped later as a bad idea.
>
> office 12's expert mode is one example of that, actually.
>
> so, i suggest being careful of chasing taillights too closely. sometimes
> it's good to let things hit the public and see what happens in the real
> world. we would've been run over a few times now if we had made a practice
> of following overly closely the experiments of apple and microsoft. (not
> that people didn't suggest doing just that, of course =)

sure, following headless would be stupid. but I really think the ms Office's
solution is usefull, after some use you're actually very quickly adjusted.
not sure if it always works, and for every app - and being able to put it on
a side for example would be cool, too. but I think you should try to get a
hold on it, try it, check it out. not al MS ideas are bad. they put a lot of
thought AND user testing in this. did you know the size and location of EVERY
action in the ribbon has been established by extensive user testing? for
example, they decided to make the paste bigger than copy and cut, as it was
used more often... we simply don't have the resources to do such a thing, i'm
afraid. using the work THEY dit for us would be nice, so...

btw i think we agree - we must be carefull. but if you haven't tried it,
PLEASE do so - it is really cool. i was amazed by the talk i got on CEBIT
from a m$ dev (i got stuck when looking for the KDE stand...). they had some
great ideas and did cool stuff in Office 12. if you can, try the upcoming
beta's when they come out. esp notice the notes-taking app, its neath.

at least OO.o will not beat MS i think, so i hope Koffice (my lovely
workhorse ;-) ) can do that...

grtz

--
October.

This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in.

The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June,
December, August, and February.