Konqueror for a New Experience (mockup)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 14 18:05:40 CET 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 04:03, jos poortvliet wrote:
> have a look how vista solved this: it will take some getting-used-to, but
> it's all there - they put all important stuff in a few small menu things on
> the right, and all other stuff in the sidebar's and toolbar. it's a clever
> thing (one of the few things vista did right). MS Office 12 has some cool

i'm always very careful of talking about successes in the past tense for
products that haven't made it to the general public yet. microsoft's demoting
the menubar may work out really well (menubars are little more than necessary
evils IMHO), but i've seen a lot of "good ideas" be implemented with fervor
only to get dropped later as a bad idea.

office 12's expert mode is one example of that, actually.

so, i suggest being careful of chasing taillights too closely. sometimes it's
good to let things hit the public and see what happens in the real world. we
would've been run over a few times now if we had made a practice of following
overly closely the experiments of apple and microsoft. (not that people
didn't suggest doing just that, of course =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo