KDE-5 Confusing setting - number pad moves mouse

Richard Boyce boycer at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 14 17:20:02 CEST 2006

Hi,

I recently started using KDE 5 from Debian unstable after spending a
couple years using other window managers. KDE has really come along way
in it flexibility and usability! Unfortunately, after I updated from KDE
3 to KDE 5 the number pad failed to work. Because I had also upgrade
Xorg I thought that this was a problem with the configuration in
xorg.conf. After trying many different setting for the keyboard in the
xorg.conf and still not having success I realized that it must be a KDE
issue. Ultimately I found that the setting "move pointer with keyboard
(using num pad) was selected under the "Mouse Navigation" tab of the
"Mouse" configuration module in KDE Control Center (kcontrol). Being an
shell and emacs user who loves every opportunity to use the keyboard
over the mouse I think that this is a great feature. But, IMHO, think
that there are a couple of problems with the current setup for selecting
this option:

1. As far as I can tell, it came on by default - for people who do not
know KDE well like me, this will be a big suprise
2. It is really hard to find out that this setting is on if you do not
know about it. It might be good to put a flag in the toolbar (kicker) or
pop a message box at log in telling the user about this setting. Number
lock (numlock) failure looks to the unfamiliar user like an Xorg issue
when they search for the problem using Google.
3. Since this affects the keyboard, the same option should be shown in
the "Keyboard" module.
4. KDE Control's search feature does not properly index this option - if
I search for "num" the only option I see is under the "Accessibility"
module which does not contain the aforementioned option.

Thanks a bunch,
Richard