Suggestion for Keyboard layout dialog

Nick Tryon dhraak at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 22:33:14 CEST 2006

On 6/13/06, Bart Schouten <bart at ahum.nl> wrote:
> For Dutch people, and probably many other peoples, who use an American
> keyboard layout but wish to use accented letters now and then, it would be
> very useful if one could add the US keyboard layout with variant Basic as
> well as the US keyboard layout with variant Intl. We just want to switch
> between typing accented characters and regular characters. Unfortunately, it
> is not possible to add the US keyboard layout more than once.
>
> The reason I need the Basic variant, is that in most applications, when using
> the Intl variant, typing a double quote " would result in a special character
> that cannot be used in scripts and so forth. I need the regular double quote,
> and hence, the Basic layout variant.

You could also try mapping the compose key to a key you don't use very
much, such as the right winkey, perhaps.  <compose> <"> <u> = 'ü'.
Some might prefer deadkeys, but I personally find this method easier
for when I have to do german homework without being obtrusive when I
do my normal typing in english.

The option can be found in the "Xkb Options" tab of the keyboard
layout settings module.